They walk among us. Prone to slipping into a second language mid-sentence and nearly tipping over from their giant stack of dictionaries, DVDs, and foreign-language novels, the trained eye can detect a language learner from across a crowded library. Once you learn to spot a language learner, you can change their lives for the better by introducing them to your library’s Mango subscription and all of the (totally free!) resources the software has to offer. Whether you deck out the foreign-language film section with Mango shelf talkers or hand out flyers and freebies at the circulation desk, it’s time to zero in on your library’s language-learners and connect them to their new favorite library resource. We've put together a list of the most notorious habits of language-learners and how to spot them in your library.
2. They’ve been asking around about language tutoring services and learning opportunities.
3. They actively seek out foreign language dictionaries, grammar guides, and other language reference books ― all with a smile on their face.
4. They’re teaching an ESL or foreign-language class in the community.
5. They check out the maximum number of DVDs every week, and they’re all foreign language.
6. They participate in library events on immigration, citizenship, and world cultures.
7. Forget NOW! 53 ― they’re checking out world music and greatest hits from around the globe.
8. They strike up conversations with other patrons in a second (or third!) language.
9. They’re reading The Little Red Hen to kids in the Children’s section ― in two different languages.
10. They’re asking if they can have some of the awesome Mango swag you’ve been giving out (they can).
Head over to Mango Market to download and order free promotional materials and spread the word about Mango to your library’s language-learners. Now that you know where learners lurk in your library, there’s no better time to brighten up those areas with computer wallpapers, table tents, flyers, and free swag. Order whatever you want, and we’ll ship it to you for free. We’ll see you at the Market!