As the internet is evolving so are all the great things you and you can do on it. The Internet is no longer just a place where people go to find information. It is the place people go to learn, talk to friends, manage their schedules, and much much more. The web is becoming very interactive. The tools for creating web based software applications are becoming better and better everyday and the benefits to the user are enormous. From being able to access your applications anywhere to ease of collaboration with others.
The problem that is being addressed now is...how do you create good software for the web?
There are several challenges that people face and many web applications today are frankly not that good. So here is a list of things you may want to consider before creating a web application:
1. Never forget who you designed the software for. The user not your own ego. Make sure the software works the way the users wants it to work so they find it valuable. The advantage of the Internet is that it's easy to collect good user feedback.
2. Simple and good interface design is as important if not more important for users as all of the great things the software can do. It's nice to have bells and whistles, but if you need a 400 page manual to figure out how to do what you want to do...then what's the point.
3. Make sure your team stays abreast of technological advancements. Every day there are new tools that help to make it easier to access your software and use it. Software is no longer built once and then sold for years. Constant, progressive improvement is the key to creating excellent web based software
4. Great web based software is not created by one person, it's created by a team that carries multiple talents. The key is to get great designers, programmers, and specialists in the field you are creating the software in to work together in harmony to create something remarkable.
5. Have a passion and a belief in what you are creating. There are too many people today who are trying to make a quick buck on the Internet. It's nice to make money, but you will never create something that is great and useful without people who really are passionate and believe in what is being created and put their heart and soul into doing it.
The Internet has recovered from the .com bubble, but still we are only seeing the tip of the iceberg of the potential of this new and revolutionary resource.
What do you think makes good web based software?